There are many groomed trails throughout Banff, Lake Louise and Yoho. Lake Louise in particular has focused on improving the cross country skiing conditions for our guests.
- A fantastic resource for cross country skiing in Lake Louise is this map from Parks Canada. Featuring level of difficulty and elevation, this is an invaluable resource. View the map
- An excellent resource from Parks Canada in Yoho is this map and information
Parks Canada recently acquired an Alpine Sherpa, which is a snowmobile that allows for better and faster trail grooming. This snowmobile is equipped with advanced emission control technology, giving the Sherpa both EURO and EPA conformity.
Now that this new equipment can be put to use, there are 10 trails and over 50 kilometers of groomed terrain available for skiers in Lake Louise. There are another 11 trails and over 100 kilometers of easy, moderate and difficult ungroomed terrain available as well in the surrounding areas of Bow Valley and the Icefields Parkways.
Due to budget cuts, Parks Canada was going to be forced to discontinue track setting the trails around Emerald Lake and surrounding area. Luckily we have reached an agreement to continue doing the track setting, as we truly believe these are some of the most beautiful trails in the world. Learn more about our agreement with Parks Canada.
Around Emerald Lake Lodge, popular routes include the Alluvial Fan Loop, an intermediate trail that is approximately 10km long, as well as the Natural Bridge Trail, and the Connector. Ask at the lodge for more information about these nearby trails. For the beginner cross country skiier, the trail around Emerald Lake is a true delight-challenging enough to be interesting, yet easy enough to accomplish without hesitation. Complete your day with a warming hot chocolate with whipped cream in the lounge at Emerald Lake Lodge!
- At Emerald Lake Lodge, Emerald Sports is a small, friendly business just across the bridge from the lodge, that rents cross country skis, snowshoes and more, and gives updates online about local track conditions. Learn more
- At Deer Lodge, there are cross country ski trails practically right out the front door, so just ask our front desk for directions! Wilson Sports in Lake Louise Village provides equipment rentals. Learn more
- At Buffalo Mountain Lodge, our front desk will be happy to assist you with finding the closest cross country skiing options. Ski rentals are available at several locations. Learn more
For more information about winter trails in National Parks, please visit Parks Canada’s website.
Our favourite cross country skiing blog for up-to-date, local and honest information is Ski Here!